> Main Dish
> Caprese Lasagna with Spicy Turkey Sausage
Caprese Lasagna with Spicy Turkey Sausage
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Source: Iowa Girl Eats
This is a wonderful lasagna that I have made many times.
Check out her website and blog for lots of other great recipes!! http://iowagirleats.com/2012/05/31/caprese-lasagna-with-spicy-tu
3/4lb lasagna noodles
extra virgin olive oil
3/4lb hot turkey Italian sausage (could use sweet)
2 Tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons flour
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups 2% milk
5-6 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
3/4 cup torn fresh basil
1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook lasagna noodles in a very large pot of salted, boiling water until just under al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and gently stir to coat the noodles.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Squeeze sausage out of its casing and cook while breaking up until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt butter, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle in flour, then whisk to combine and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth a few Tablespoons at a time, whisking to break up any lumps. Continue pouring and whisking until mixture is smooth. Pour in milk and whisk to combine. Season with salt & pepper.
- Switch to a spatula and stir sauce until thick and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl with a spout, and set aside.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour 1/4 cup sauce into the bottom, then spread evenly with a spatula. Place 3 lasagna noodles in the bottom, then top with 1/3 of the tomatoes, 1/4 cup torn basil, 1/3 of the cooked turkey sausage, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Repeat 2 more times, for a total of three layers.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly. Let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?